Stage 3 represents a much wider restart of the economy with indoor dining allowed to resume in restaurants and numerous other businesses, including gyms and movie theatres, allowed to reopen.
In a statement issued on Friday afternoon, Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie thanked Ford for continuing to take a “cautious” approach to reopening and choosing to “hit pause” before deciding whether Toronto, Peel Region and Windsor Essex can move to Stage 3.
The limit on indoor gatherings also increases from 10 to 50 with the limit on outdoor gatherings going to 100.Ontario Premier Doug Ford attends press availability in Markham, Ontario, on Friday July 24, 2020.
While officials in Toronto and Peel Region have both said that they expect their communities to get the green light to move to Stage 3 imminently, they have also expressed concern about a possible increase in the spread of the virus that could accompany the resumption of indoor dining at bars and restaurants. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
Niagara Region Public Health reports no new cases of COVID-19 two days in a row The five-day rolling average of new cases now stands at 160.
Ford, however, said during a briefing on Friday afternoon that a decision has been made to push back that update until next Wednesday so that public health officials can have a little more time to study the data.
Lifestyle Doug Ford Delivers Coronavirus Speech To Near-Empty Legislature Just 26 MPPs attended the emergency session on COVID-19, instead of the usual 124.
CP24 BREAKFAST
Premier Doug Ford has another announcement planned for this afternoon. Last Updated Friday, July 24, 2020 4:36PM EDT Premier Doug Ford has another announcement planned for this afternoon.Health Minister Christine Elliott, Minister of Long-Term Care Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, and Finance Minister Rod Phillips will join Ford for his 1 p.m. address from Queen’s Park.This comes after he announced a ban on public gatherings of more than 5 people over the weekend.It doesn’t apply to households of five people or more or child care centres supporting front line health care workers and first responders.Funerals will be allowed to go ahead with up to 10 people at a time.Previously, the Ford government had limited public events to 50 people or less.Premier Doug Ford says, “I strongly encourage everyone to do the responsible thing and stay home unless absolutely necessary.